Monday, September 26, 2016

Four Leaf Memories

Its the last week of September and time to start my morning walks with Belle.  It was 71 degrees when I left the house and only 73 on my return so I did very well until a couple blocks from home when my hot flashes resumed and nearly took my breath away.  I dragged into the yard  dripping wet and feeling like I had run a marathon instead of walking a mile.  (Yes, I am starting slow.)

What I had forgotten was the unexpected memories of my Dad that come upon me out of nowhere on my walks and soon we were walking together and singing.  Dad was a great singer in that he would just belt it out no matter how it sounded.  He taught us plenty of good songs and some funny ones on car trips to see Grandparents and Cousins.  I often serenade Belle and anyone in listening distance when I walk or even just sit on the deck.  I guess I do take after him in some ways.

Someone in the neighbor hood had seeded their yard and put up yellow tape around it.  Of course, Belle wanted to pee on it.  What I noticed amid the weeds, grass, and straw, was clusters of clovers and upon closer inspection...many four-leaf clovers!  I wanted to run and tell my sisters, but even more than that, I wanted to pick some.  Then came the song...."I'm looking over a four leaf clover, that I overlooked before....1st leaf is sunshine, the 2nd is rain...."  Oh, what fun!

And you know that one memory will lead to another and I am at the dining room table on the farm making a poster for 4-H....drawing out a four-leaf clover...practicing square dancing with my club for the Variety Show At the NDSU Field House, which may have been called the Alex Nemzick Field House at the time...baking bread and sewing for the Red River Valley Fair demonstration exhibits.  Ah, another world.

I thank you God for the good memories.  I am glad I can never forget my Dad and would never even try.

No comments: