Tuesday, December 5, 2006

The perfect Autumn leaf in Winter

Nothing beats looking out my bay windowin the morning. As I walk through the kitchen, the sunlight streaks through the windows with the promise of a big surprise if I venture out on the deck. (Which I am compelled to do, and not just because my dog has business outside.)

I don't know what kind of trees we have but many of them have the most HUGE leaves I have ever seen! Some of the trees stay green all year, but these huge-leafed trees change color. Some of these colored leaves donate themselves, in a spiral nosedive, to the increasingly thick carpet below. They make a soft landing and they seem to invite you to step off the deck.

What I am looking at right now are the perfect, burnt orange leaves of my Autumn in Georgia, which is really Winter, back home in Fargo. I once preferred the red leaves of our Bradford Pear trees on the front lawn, but my son-in-law has given me new eyes to appreciate orange, his favorite color. I wish I could capture this picture for you, but nothing does reality justice.

Through the center pane, I spy my favorite wind chime hanging from a deliciously colored tree. A piece of orange stained glass with a golden cross in the center hangs below the pipes, which are designed to play the notes of "Amazing Grace" when the cross stirs them up. (Does the cross stir you up?) Of course, the notes aren't playing in order, I can't sing along...but I can appreciate the perfect sounds of the beautiful hymn and for a moment in time, feel that this is my private cathedral, my place to worship Him and His creation that is here for me to enjoy.

In most seasons, my wind chime collection is somewhat hidden in the jigsaw pattern of the leaves, but they delight by showing off in the winter. They seem to tinkle and ring louder; perhaps they are simply applauding Belle, my dog, as she plays in the leaves, re-burying and discovering her bones and balls.

No comments: