Tuesday, January 2, 2007

A Good Morning

What can be better than hot-buttered toast in the morning?

Really, to wake with a song in your head that praises Our Father, stretch out the bones from their luxurious slumber, tip-toe past your sweetly sleeping husband, greet your waiting dog and your possibilities-laden day as you step outside...it's just the beginning! I start my coffee, oh, that great mix of regular and vanilla flavored coffee beans wakes my nose. I cut up fruit - this morning: 1/4 golden delicious apple, 1/4 bartlett pear, and a small handful of strawberries priced like diamonds - lightly sprinkle with sugar, and pour my coffee.

I start my devotions, this moring I am in 2 Corinthians 5:20, but something earlier in the chapter has caught my eye and I dig into a parallel commentary...resting with a sermon by Charles Spurgeon. Again, I get off track and that leads me to another reading. Time for another cup of coffee and a break before prayer time.

I am working on the end of a loaf of Pepperidge Farms Cinnamon Bread. My dog and I wait for the toast to come up; she knows she will get a corner piece. I prefer real butter and on this bread it is simply wonderful. I don't skimp, and as I sink my teeth into the first bite of hot, buttered toast, I think to myself, "This is heaven!"

I have said goodbye to my husband long ago, and now it is time to resume my study and my prayer time. What does God have in store for me today? Oh, lead me, Father, and I will follow.

No comments: