Saturday, October 17, 2009

My Love/Hate Relationship

I used to have to have it in mass amounts every day. As I matured, which took over 30 years, I just needed to know it was in the house and I could get by with having it once in awhile...but if needed, I could splurge.

Now after 50 years, I can wait...I guess it's called 'delayed gratification' and I believe it is a good thing to practice in this microwave age we live where we can have anything we want anytime we want. I cannot believe how much I have bought into this...and you don't even need a microwave to buy into it.

The quick desserts from the freezer section...that one used to only find in the finest restaurants, unless you wanted to spend hours pouring over cookbooks, then buying the exact ingredients and following baking instructions to the letter...you might get lucky, now you just pay $5 and it's yours right from the freezer, anytime you want it.

The finger foods we have grown to love...just pop them in the oven: pizza rolls, boneless chicken, chicken creme puffs, french fries, loaded potato skins, garlic cheese bread...you name it. You don't even have to make a sandwich from scratch or have all the makings, if you keep a box of frozen pocket sandwiches or panini's on hand.

This said, it is the season, you know. I discovered that Cracker Barrel (restaurants) have brought back their 'seasonal' dessert, Coke Cake! (I ask for it all year long but it is 'seasonal'!)This is chocolate, yes CHOCOLATE cake with yummy chocolate fudge frosting, made with Coke. It is served warm with vanilla bean ice cream and has the consistency of a cross between chocolate cake and chocolate brownies. Yes, I discovered this was THE SEASON over 2 weeks ago, after ordering breakfast at Cracker Barrel. Had I noticed beforehand, this would have been my breakfast.

Now, I know where it is and how good it is....now, I wait for the right moment to drive to my local Cracker Barrel and meet a friend, or go with my hubby, for a special dessert time when I will savor, slowly, each piece on my tongue-in my mouth-down my throat-to my tummy...with cups of hot black coffee. Oh! Sometimes I can hardly stand the wait, but I am busy with life...working and traveling and cleaning.

The day will come! I await this visit like the visit to a grandchild. I know it will be great! I know it will contain special moments for me! I know it will be a visit always remembered, replayed in my mind. But sometimes the waiting is hard.....

1 comment:

Thoughts from Debra said...

Double Chocolate Fudge Coca-Cola® Cake
To commemorate our 40th anniversary, we've added a guest favorite to our dessert menu. Our rich, double chocolate fudge cake, made with real Coca-Cola®. It's served warm with premium vanilla bean ice cream. Enjoy a real Cracker Barrel tradition.